CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book Review: Betrayal by Mayandree Michel

Betrayal
by: Mayandree Michel
published: April 2011
format: ebook
Goodreads Summary:
Where there is love and power, there is always... betrayal. At seventeen, Cordelia is an ordinary teen with an extraordinary and frightening secret. A secret that induces vivid dreams which she not only experiences true love, but crippling fear while barely escaping with her life each night. After a life altering event, Cordelia has an unexpected encounter with Evan, the mysterious boy from her dreams, who reveals who and what she is, a descendant of the Greek gods. At that moment everything she knows of her world is a lie, and she must leave the present and go into the past to assume the role she was put on this earth for, safeguarding her ancient empire amidst evil forces that toil hastily to destroy it. In a race against time, Cordelia must decide if she is truly a part of this dangerous world, or risk defying the gods, and ultimately lose the boy who has put a claim on her heart.

I've been interested in reading this for awhile and recently bought a Kindle and found this in ebook for .99 so of course I had to get it ^.^ Let me first say that I LOVE my Kindle! At first I thought it would be weird reading an entire novel like that but it wasn't for me at all, in fact it seemed easier because the print is crisp and large and doesn't tire the eyes. Ok so what did I think of Betrayal hmmmm... this is a difficult review to make because on the one hand I loved the story but on the other the writing itself made it an absolute chore to get through. I'm not sure if it was because I had the Kindle version but there were sooooo many writing errors. I try not to be too anal and can overlook a few here and there but this book is chalk full of 'em. Some other reviewers have said they had to stop reading early on because the errors were too distracting. This book is also much longer than it needs to be with all the long-winded dialogue and characters constantly repeating themselves. I thought to myself "How in the world did a professional editor overlook this mess? It's like I'm reading a rough draft". Then I later found out that this book was self-published, meaning no professional editing had been done. If writing mistakes are one of your biggest pet peeves, you might want to skip this one, for now anyway.

As for the story itself, I liked it a lot. I assumed it was only going to be about Greek mythology but there's also vampires, werewolves, werepanthers, and even a weredragon, how cool is that! And I love the setting being in old west times, very cool. I liked the characters ok except for Bethany. Supposedly she's Cordelia's best friend but she was narcissistic and unnecessarily rude. Although, I guess that makes sense being what she is and all. The love story part was good. I liked that Cordelia was cautious and didn't instantly fall head-over-heels in love. I also liked Evander (and that name!) and there were parts that I thought were very sweet. And the ending, wow, I didn't see that coming at all *_* it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next book, I just hope Mayandree does herself and her readers a favor and hires a professional to do the polishing.

Final Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment